WHAT IS LSD
LSD, or lysergic acid diethylamide, is a long-lasting psychoactive drug that distorts and alters perceptions and sensations. In uncontrolled situations, LSD is one of the most potent mood-altering drugs available. It causes profound distortions in the user’s perception of reality that can last up to 12 hours.
Scientists believe that LSD works by influencing the receptors involved in the regulation of serotonin, a neurotransmitter in the brain. Serotonin is involved in the control of behavioral, perceptual, and regulatory systems including mood, motor control, sensory perception, hunger, body temperature, and sexual behavior
When this system is disrupted by taking LSD, it can cause profound distortions in the user’s perception of reality, or in other words, hallucinations.1
These sensory hallucinations can be accompanied by rapid and intense emotional swings. Consequently, an LSD “trip” can go from being a pleasant experience to a very unpleasant one very quickly, making the effect of the drug extremely unpredictable.
Some of the most dramatic effects of LSD reported by researchers in smaller or case studies include:
- Altered sense of self
- Altered sense of time
- Crossover senses, synesthesia (hearing colors, seeing sound)
- Dramatic changes in sensations and feelings
- Feeling several different emotions at once
- Swing rapidly from one emotion to another
- These altered perceptions and sensations can cause panic in LSD users Some experience terrifying thoughts, feelings of despair, fear of losing control, fear of insanity, and fear of death.
- Scientists have also not been able to explain why some LSD users have flashbacks —a sudden recurrence of aspects of an LSD trip without warning. These flashbacks can happen within a few days of the original use of the drug or sometimes more than a year later.
The physical side effects of using LSD include loss of appetite, trouble sleeping, tremors, dry mouth, seizures, and nausea.lsd acid
HOW LONG DOES LSD STAY IN YOUR SYSTEM?
People begin to feel the effects of LSD approximately 20 to 90 minutes after taking it. These effects can last up to 12 hours, although it may take up to 24 hours for the individual to return to their normal state.